This is one of the first recipes I ever had published in a newspaper. It was published back in 2001 and was one of the Detroit Free Press Top 10 Recipes of the year. This Blueberry French Toast is so good!
Blueberry French Toast with a cream cheese filling and blueberry syrup.
- Butter for greasing baking dish
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 12 slices white bread, divided
- 1 1/2 cups frozen blueberries
- 12 large eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- Blueberries in syrup:
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup corn syrup
- 6 ounces frozen blueberries
- 1/4 cup toasted pecans
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- Butter a 9-by-13-inch baking dish; set aside.
- In a 2 quart saucepan, combine the water, corn syrup, sugar and maple syrup.
- Thickly spread cream cheese on 6 slices of the bread. Place bread on the bottom of a greased 9 x 13 inch baking dish (cream cheese side up).
- Evenly distribute blueberries on top of the cream cheese. Cube up the remaining 6 slices of bread. Sprinkle evenly over the blueberries.
- Combine eggs, milk and syrup together and blend well. Pour over the breadcrumbs. Refrigerate overnight.
- Bake at 350°F. for 1 hour. Cover with foil for the 1st 1/2 hour. Remove cover and bake for 30 more minutes or until center is set.
- Cut into squares and serve with syrup.