Turkey Meatball Subs
These turkey meatballs are delicious! I love a good meatball sub, don’t you? I made the sub buns too. Ill share that recipe with you later. When you make turkey meatballs you have to be careful you don’t overcook them or they can become dry rather quickly. Dry meatballs are not a good thing! These meatballs are really moist when they go in the oven and they almost feel like they are to wet but it’s okay, when they come out of the oven they will be perfectly baked and moist.
Be sure to chop you vegetables up very small so they will get tender. I suppose you could sauté them a bit but they are just fine, remember tiny dice. Depending on the size of your meatballs they should bake in 12 – 15 minutes.
Last week I received some products from Chicken Soup From the Soul. I decided to try the Basil Tomato Soup for lunch and I really did enjoy it. It had chunks of tomatoes in a delicious tomato soup. So as I was eating it I decided it should be the sauce for my meatball sub. It paired perfectly with the turkey meatballs. I would keep this soup on hand just to be able to add it to recipes for a quick and easy meal like these turkey meatball subs.
Here’s the soup with their Grilled Cheese and Bacon Foccaccia Croutons. Love them!
Tender, moist turkey meatballs in a tomato basil sauce, mozzarella cheese in whole wheat homemade sub buns.
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 1/2 cup green onion
- 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup diced sweet red pepper
- 1 1/2 cups panko
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 egg
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add everything to a bowl. Mix until well combined.
- Make meatballs about the size of a walnut. Place on a greased baking sheet.
- Bake for 12 - 15 minutes. Cook until no longer pink in the center.
- To make the subs I added Tomato Basil Soup from Chicken Soup for the Soul. Cook for 5 minutes over medium heat. Cut a sub bun down the center, toast bun if desired. Add meatballs and a little mozzarella cheese. Put under broiler until cheese melts. Top with some fresh basil shredded.
- If you don't have this soup you can use your favorite jarred spaghetti sauce.
Here is a list of products available from Chicken Soup For the Soul.
Soups: Chicken Noodle, Spicy Thai-Style Chicken Noodle, Tomato Basil
Broths: Chicken Broth, BBQ-Style Beef Flavored Broth
Soup Toppers: Grilled Cheese & Bacon Flavored Focaccia Croutons, White Cheddar Focaccia Croutons Crispy Onions, & Honey Roasted Almonds, Crispy Sour Cream Onions, Zesty Tortilla Strips & Red Pepper Crisps
Disclosure: I received the products shown in the picture above to review. The opinions however are my own.