Gingerbread Cookie Mix in a Jar Recipe
This delicious cookie mix needs just a couple more ingredients and the smell of gingerbread cookies will soon be wafting throughout the house.
Some Tips for Making Mixes in a Jar
Filling the Jars Be sure to pack the ingredients tightly when adding to the jar, especially brown sugar. (Try crumbling the brown sugar to give it an even texture before packing into jar.
Recipes with brown sugar should be used within weeks of making because the sugar will turn rock hard the longer it sits. If this happens, you may have to pick at it to remove it from the jar.)
Flour and sugar seep through, so nuts and candies should be on top of flour or white sugar. Pack contrasting colors together, the layers will look nicer.
The other cookie mix seen in the picture here is coming tomorrow.
Gingerbread Cookie Mix in a Jar, cookies are flavored with molasses, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and allspice. Perfect for gift giving.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- Mix 2 cups of the flour with the baking soda and baking powder. Mix the remaining 1 1/2 cups flour with the ginger, cloves, cinnamon, and allspice. In a 1 quart, wide mouth canning jar, layer the ingredients starting with the flour and baking powder mixture, then the brown sugar, and finally the flour and spice mixture. Pack firmly between layers.
- Attach a card to the jar with the following directions: Gingerbread Cookies
- Empty contents of jar into bowl.
- Add 1/2 cup softened butter, 3/4 cup molasses and 1 egg. Dough will be stiff. Cover and refrigerate 1 hour.
- Roll out dough on a floured surface and cut into desired shapes.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10 - 12 minutes.