For breakfast this morning I made some Buttermilk Raspberry Muffins. This is my favorite basic recipe for fruit muffins. You can add any fruit you want to these and they come out perfect every time. I fill my muffins before baking all of the way to the top and look at those beautiful domed tops! Vary the toppings on top, you can do nuts, streusels or sanding sugar as I did here. Be careful not to overmix muffin batter when putting this together. You just want to mix it until the flour mixture is incorporated into the wet mixture. Be sure that your baking powder is fresh when you use it for best results. I always before I start my holiday baking throw out my old leavening agents like baking powder and baking soda. That way I know I am going to get the best results I can when I bake using those products.
Light buttermilk raspberry muffins topped with sanding sugar.
- 3 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups fresh raspberries
- coarse sugar
- Add flour, salt, baking powder and sugar to a mixing bowl. Give it a few stirs to combine it well.
- Add the buttermilk, eggs, vanilla and oil. Mix together until the muffin batter comes together. Carefully fold in the raspberries.
- Using a scoop, fill cupcake liners almost full. Top with sanding sugar.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 15 - 18 minutes.