Strawberry Scones Recipe
I made the best strawberry scones today and used up some strawberries that needed to be used right away at the same time. They actually because of the strawberries stay fresh for a couple of days too.
When you make scones you need what I call a light hand. You don’t want to overmix the dough. You also start with cold butter and use a pastry cutter to cut it in, just like you would a pie crust. If you use a food processor to mix these up use several short pulses to cut in the butter. Be careful because the food processor can heat up quickly and melt the butter. Add the rest of the ingredients mixing them in as lightly as you can. For the pan I used I used a scoop to put my dough in the pan and just pressed down lightly to spread it out. These are a perfect breakfast or brunch treat, serve with a little butter and jam. It’s so yummy!
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 1 7/8 cup flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup cream + 2 tablespoons
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup diced strawberries
- 2 tablespoons sugar for tops
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt together in a bowl.
- Cut up the butter into pieces and blend into flour mixture with a pastry cutter until it is the size of small peas.
- Add cream and egg to mixture and quickly mix until it comes together. Add strawberries and mix in.
- Grease the pan you are using. Pat dough into a circle and cut with a cutter into 2 inch circles or if you have a scone pan put dough into cavities. I used a medium scoop.
- Brush cream on tops and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for 15 - 18 minutes until lightly browned and done in the center. Remove from pan to cool.