Well Thanksgiving is right around the corner and will be here before we know it. I made this pumpkin pie just so I could show you this cute decorative crust.
I found some cute cutters that make it so easy to do. Cookie cutters will work also, you just won’t get the detail these have. You could however use a knife and draw in some details. I brushed them lightly with an egg wash before baking.
I keep getting asked about the difference in pure pumpkin and pumpkin pie mix and if they are interchangeable. The answer is no. Pure pumpkin is just that, pumpkin. Pumpkin Pie Mix has all of the spices added to it, you still need to add some evaporated milk and eggs to make a pie. I prefer to add my own spices so I always start with pure pumpkin.
Pumpkin Pie made with a homemade decorated crust and a cinnamon pumpkin filling,
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup lard
- 1/2 cup butter
- 6 to 8 tablespoons cold water
- Egg Wash
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- Pumpkin Filling
- 1 can pure pumpkin
- 2 eggs
- 1 can evaporated milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Combine flour, salt and lard in the food processor. Pulse until the lard is incorporated. Add water and process until the crust comes together in a ball.
- Let rest 5 minutes before rolling out on counter top that has been dusted with flour.
- Divide dough in half. Roll out to fit your pie pan. Cut the edges off at the rim of the pie pan.
- Roll out other piece of dough. Cut into shapes and place on top of the rim. Press down lightly to seal pieces to the dough on the rim of the pan.
- Brush lightly with egg wash.]Filling
- Add the pumpkin, sugar and spices to a mixing bowl. Mix together until combined. Stir in the eggs, mix well. Add the evaporated milk. When combined pour into pie shell.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Bake for 15 minutes and turn down oven to 325 degrees. Bake for 45 - 50 minutes. A tester will pull out clean when tested in the center and it will be puffy.
Maybe you’d like to try our recipe for?
Peanut Butter Pie – my favorite pie ever!