Italian Cucumber Salad Recipe
I came home from the grocery store the other day with lots of fresh vegetables. I got a bag of cucumbers that I needed to use right away so I decided to make this easy Italian Cucumber Salad.
This is one of those salads that you can vary the vegetables, use any mixture you want. Now that we are in the middle of winter I miss fresh vegetables on my table. I hate buying vegetables that just don’t taste like they should. When buying cucumbers look for ones that are firm, without blemishes and soft spots. If you buy the waxed ones, be sure to scrub off the wax before eating. If the skin is too thick or bitter, peel all or most of it off. Waxed ones can last up to 2 weeks with refrigeration, non-waxed up to 1 week.
I used fresh basil in this salad because I had it, dried will work. The longer this salad marinates the better it gets!
Italian Cucumber Salad is a mixed vegetable salad made with cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers, onions and fresh mozzarella cheese marinated in a light vinaigrette.
- 2 cucumbers
- 1/2 medium onion
- 3 - 4 mini sweet peppers or 1/2 large pepper
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 cup fresh mozzarella cubed
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- Mix up the dressing ingredients in a bowl large enough to hold the vegetables.
- Chop the cucumbers, onions, peppers and tomatoes into bite size pieces. Add to the dressing. Add the cut up cubes of fresh mozzarella.
- Taste to adjust seasoning. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.