This soup can warm you up on a chilly day. It is comfort food in a bowl to me. Chicken and Rice Soup is chunks of white chicken, celery, onions, carrots and peas with a serving of rice in rich flavorful broth. If you are short on time you can even start with a roasted chicken you buy at the store. Get the broth going and add the vegetables first, then shred the chicken to add to the soup when the vegetables are tender. Add that delicious broth in the bottom of the chicken container too.
Get the rice cooking in a separate pan while the vegetables cook. I don’t add the rice to the soup before serving if I think I am going to have leftovers. I serve it separate so the delicious broth isn’t all soaked into the rice. If you are going to have leftovers because the rice or pasta soaks up the broth you’ll most likely have to add water when you reheat the soup which to me dilutes the broth. If you don’t think you’ll have leftovers I’d add the rice to the pot of soup right before serving. I’d also add a couple of tablespoons of lime juice to brighten the flavors. You’ll be surprised what a difference it will make.
I’ve been experimenting with different rices this summer. It is amazing how different that rices can taste depending on the variety. Valencia rice is one of my new favorites, it is short, fat and really has a good flavor to it. It is similar to Arborio rice which is used for risotto but costs less. My everyday rice of choice is Uncle Ben’s. I wouldn’t use an instant rice in the soup unless it is all you have on hand.
Chicken and Rice Soup is chunks of white chicken, celery, onions, carrots and peas with a serving of rice in rich flavorful broth.
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 cups sliced celery
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 1 cup frozen peas - add right before serving
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 2 - 3 cups chicken - cooked
- 2 cups cooked rice
- Add the broth, onions, celery, carrots, salt, pepper and thyme to a stockpot.Bring to a boil and reduce to a medium simmer. Cook for 30 minutes. Stir in the chicken and peas. Simmer for 10 more minutes. Taste to adjust seasonings.
- To serve put a scoop of the hot rice in a bowl. Spoon the soup liquid over the top.
- Note: to really brighten the flavors add 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice right before serving. Serve with a lime wedge.
Maybe you’d like to try our?