Baked Bananas with Vanilla Ice Cream
and Caramel Sauce Recipe
It is so hot in sunny Florida right now that I really hate turning my oven on so if I do I want it to be quick and back off again. This dessert fits that bill and if you have never baked a banana before I think you will be surprised at how delicious it is. This dessert is kind of like bananas foster but so much easier.
To bake bananas you want a ripe banana but not so overripe you would be making banana bread out of them. They should still be firm, no bruising and not green either. Next you just place the bananas on a baking sheet and bake for 20 – 25 minutes. You want the bananas to just yield to your touch. I think you might be surprised at how baking making makes bananas even sweeter than they already are.
While the bananas are baking, make the caramel sauce. It takes less than 10 minutes to make it. If you’re short on time purchase it. Just be sure to warm it up before spooning it over the vanilla ice cream. This dessert is all about easy so do what works for you.
Baked bananas with vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce.
- Bananas - 1 per person
- 1 cup walnuts, pecans, macadamia nuts (use whatever you like)
- Caramel Sauce
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- vanilla ice cream
- Place the bananas on a cookie sheet. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 20 - 25 minutes. Bananas will turn black and when done will yield to pressure when you touch it. The last 10 minutes of baking add the nuts to one end of the pan to toast.
- While the bananas are baking make the caramel sauce.
- In a heavy-bottomed pan, combine the sugar and water over medium-low heat. Stir until the sugar dissolves. Bring to a boil without stirring. If you see sugar crystals on the sides of the pan use a wet pastry brush to brush down the sides of the pan. Boil until the syrup is a deep amber color, about 5 to 6 minutes.
- Stir in 3/4 cup heavy cream with the pan off of the heat. Be careful as the mixture will splatter and that syrup is very hot. Whisk it in quickly. Add 3 tablespoons of butter and stir until thoroughly blended in. Cool. Refrigerate any leftovers.
- To plate your dessert, use a knife and cut the banana open lengthwise. Spread it open just a little so there is room for some of the caramel sauce. Add a scoop of vanilla ice cream to the plate. Top the ice cream and banana with some of the caramel sauce and some of the nuts. A sprinkling of sea salt would be good too!
- There should be enough caramel sauce for about 6 desserts.
Here is another dessert that will keep your kitchen cool this summer that I know you will love for my favorite Frozen Strawberry Cream Pie. This is a make ahead dessert that wait for you in the freezer until you are ready for it. Take it out and put it in the refrigerator about 45 minutes before you want to serve it.