Blueberry Lemon Cake
I’ve been on a blueberry roll all week, I think this is my third recipe this week using them. It is the fruit of the month for the Fresh From Florida campaign that I work on every month. Love, love that the fresh Florida blueberries are starting to show up in the grocery stores now.
This cake is perfect for a coffee break or when you need a pick me up. It bursts with fresh blueberries and lemon flavors, one of my favorite flavor combinations. It almost rivals my peanut butter and chocolate love affair.
Double this recipe if you’d like a larger loaf. This was baked in a 9 x 5 pan and it was just over half full when baked. This cake will easily serve 6 people as it is. This cake is best baked a day ahead or in the morning for that evening.
Lemon and blueberries together flavor this cake which has a texture close to a pound cake.
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen tossed in 1 tablespoon flour
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar - may need a little more.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time and beat until well incorporated. Add the lemon extract and zest.
- Add the flour, salt and baking powder. Beat until thoroughly incorporated but do not overbeat.
- Spray a 9 x 5 bread pan. Put half the batter in the pan. Sprinkle half of the blueberries over the surface that have been coated with flour. Add remaining batter and then top with the blueberries.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 - 55 minutes. Check often and test with a tester. When baked remove to a wire rack to cool.
- Mix the glaze together.
- Put glaze on after it has been out of the oven for 15 minutes.
Source: Adapted from Cooking Light
Maybe you’d like to try?