Blueberry Mascarpone Tart
This dessert happened purely by mistake. I made Oatmeal Cream Pies yesterday and originally wanted them to have a mascarpone filling. Something however happened while mixing up the filling that made me totally change and proceed on a different course. As I was trying to whip the mascarpone into a filling it kept getting thinner and thinner until I realized no way this was ever going to work. So back up and start over.
I had a few pints of blueberries in the refrigerator I hadn’t earmarked for anything yet in particular so I decided to add some cream cheese and eggs to the mascarpone and make a filling for the blueberries. I decided not to do a crust and I am glad I didn’t, it would of gotten too wet. The blueberries all went to the bottom like I expected and then I got a nice sweet tart creamy filling on top. For something that started out as a total flop it turned into something I would make again. Most of the time when I have an episode like this in my kitchen you never see it. This however is really too good not to share.
This afternoon when I got ready to take a picture of this I noticed some white chocolate on my counter that I had left over from something else I had recently done. Next thing I knew I was dipping more blueberries in the white chocolate to garnish the tart. Those little berries wanted to get sucked right into the chocolate so I really realized I had way too much time on my hands this afternoon but they tasted so good it was worth it. This is a really rich dessert and the pieces are not thick but it will easily be dessert for 4 – 6 people. If you don’t feel like dipping the blueberries in the chocolate I would serve this with some fresh blueberries and sliced strawberries and a dollop of whipped cream.
Creamy mascarpone and cream cheese with blueberries and grand marnier. Topped with blueberries dipped in white chocolate and white chocolate covered strawberries.
- 8 oz. mascarpone
- 8 oz. cream cheese
- 3/4 cup confectioners sugar
- dash salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 tablespoons grand marnier (optional)
- 1 pint blueberries
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Mix together cream cheese and mascarpone with a wire whip. Add the sugar. When blended in add the eggs one at a time. Beat until mixed in. Add the salt, vanilla, grand marnier and heavy cream. Mix until incorporated.
- Line a 8 inch cake pan with parchment paper. Pour mascarpone mixture into pan. Scatter blueberries over top evenly.
- Bake for 35 - 40 minutes or until center no longer shakes when you jiggle it.
- Refrigerate when cool still in pan. To remove from pan run a knife around the outside of pan. Flip tart over onto a plate. Remove parchment paper,