Ooey Gooey Lemon Blueberry Cake
Ooey Gooey Cake just got better if that is possible. I added fresh lemons and a pint of blueberries and it is amazing. It just may be the best new dessert I have tried this summer. You are going to love this new Ooey Gooey Lemon Blueberry Cake version. I downsized the recipe to make allowances for the difference in the cake mix box sizes. I hate to think about all of the recipes we have made for years that now need to be reformulated.
Blueberries are one of my favorite fruits and I would put them in everything if I could. The tartness of the berries and the lemons really enhance this cake which is really rich and sometimes can seem overly sweet. Who am I kidding this cake is really rich and sweet? You know that with the first fork full. I can see all kinds of versions of this coming up soon.
I baked my cake in a glass pan. When I bake in a glass pan, I always drop the oven temperature to 325 degrees. You will have a longer baking time but it will cook more evenly. This cake came up to the top of this pan while baking and I was a little afraid it was going to overspill the sides but it didn’t. Just a heads up if you start to panic when you peek in the oven while baking.
- 1 16.25 oz. box lemon cake mix
- 1 egg
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 8 oz. package of cream cheese softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 16 oz. box confectionary sugar
- 1/2 cup butter at room temperature
- juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 1 pint blueberries
- Combine cake mix, egg, zest, juice and butter in an electric mixer. Pat into a lightly greased 9 x 13 x 2 pan.
- Rinse blueberries and spread over crust in a single layer.
- Next, using an electric mixer, beat cream cheese and butter until smooth, add eggs, lemon juice, zest and vanilla. Dump in confectionary sugar and beat well. Mix well.
- Pour onto cake mixture and spread evenly.
- Bake at 350* for 60 minutes. It should remain a little gooey in the center. Cool completely and cut into squares. I baked mine at 325 and it took just over an hour. I started checking it at 45 minutes.